Friday, January 23, 2009

Where in the world have you been?

In case you haven't noticed, it's been a year since I've posted anything on this wonderful blog. Maybe you haven't noticed or don't even care....lol.

Well, I think I'm back. It's been a very hard two years, but I think life is getting a little better.

For those that don't know, my mom passed away last April. She had cancer in several places, both lungs, her liver, hip, spine, and small intestine. The bad part is she didn't want my brother and I to know, so she kept it quiet for several years. The only way we found out was after we got the results of a CT, which showed in a couple of the places. We had her admitted to the hospital the next day and they ran more test and found the other four places. The cancer was too far gone to do anything. She even decided she didn't even want to know what kind of cancer it was. We brought her home to my house. The said she might have about two months, but died two weeks later.

I know God has his hands all in it, because, I had just had minor surgery the day before we got her first results. I had two weeks off work, so I could stay home and take care of her. I cherished every minute I had with her. We were able to clear the air on some personal issues and got pretty close before she died. She was able to see all her family and friends before she died, as well. The only thing I hated was that the day she died, I chose to go back to work. I thought she had more time and it would be ok. Chuck was home with her when God decided to take her home.

We still have not been able to sell her house, but we are still trying. My garage is full of junk that I brought from her house and I still have to bring home a china cabinet, the china and crystal, and a daybed. Lord only knows where I'm going to put it all.

But, as life goes on, things get better and better. I'm not knitting as much, but have gone back to the old love of writing. I'm working as a freelance writer....part time. I found a really cool site that lets you bid on jobs and I have actually been doing a lot of writing. It is really good therapy and lots of fun. Most of the work I do, I can pull from my head....others I have to do some research on and that's fun, since I get to learn something new and I have always said, you should never stop learning. If you do, your life is over and I'm not ready for it to be over yet.....lol.

I am in the middle of a knitting project that is a slow mover. I'm knitting kilt hose for a friend at Church. The pattern is called 'links of love' with entrelac cuffs. The colors are dark blue, yellow and medium blue......loud, but nice! I am about a half inch away from starting the heel flap. The reason it is taking so long to finish these, is Mike has such a large leg. I can usually knit a pair of sock in about two weeks, but these are taking forever. I'll post a photo when they are done. They match Mike's new custom made kilt. We took a swatch of the fabric to the Yarn Garden and matched the colors perfectly. Hopefully he will let me take a photo with him wearing the kilt and the hose, that will be awesome.

I tried sock knitting on a loom, but hated it, so that's an art that will not be kept up in the Brown house. I still like 2 sox on 2 circs....thanks to Cathy! I have about six pair of socks to knit once these kilt hose are finished. I have been collecting sock yarn, I have some gorgeous colors just waiting to be knit into socks. Well I guess I'm off to finish my article on starting a pet business. It pays enough for a meal out for Chuck and I....lol.

2 comments:

vis2vas said...

So nice hearing from you! I've been worried. Hope 2009 will be the best year ever for you too! I've decided that it is going to be that for me :-)
Love ya, Vigdis

Unknown said...

Deb,

Sorry I haven't checked your blog recently. I am sorry about the loss of your Mom. She is with God.

The kilt hose sound like a piece of work and I look forward to seeing pictures sometime.

What is the site that lets you freelance writing!! And what are some of the things you have written about. I would love to read them.